Saturday, November 3, 2007

Marathon Trials

I missed seeing the quasi-live start to the US Men's Olympic Marathon Trials this morning. Sadly, one of the runners, 28-year old Ryan Shay, collapsed in the sixth mile. He did not regain consciousness, and died. I heard the news while working with Dad and Sarah (sister). I am still in shock. This is a professional athlete running what should be the race of his lifetime. I can understand a dehydrated, exhausted athlete collapsing at mile 20 or mile 25, but mile 5.5??? I feel so sorry for his new bride. Pray for her, and Ryan Shay's family.

The team for the Beijing games has been set. Ryan Hall ran a brilliant race, and won! Yay, California!!! Dathan Ritzenhein came in second, and my favorite, Brian Sell, the lunchpail Hansons-Brooks man came in third. Meb Keflezighi, the 2004 Olympic silver medalist, came in8th.

With this team, I think that the USA stands a decent chance of getting a medal in Beijing. Beat the Kenyans, sure, why not :).

No comments: